In honor of our Sonora Specials this month, enjoy this fantastic Grilled Tomatillo Chicken Tacos Recipe!
- 6 Tomatillos, husked, washed, and grilled until blackened
- 1 Serrano, grilled until blackened
- Olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Spices for chicken rub(smoked paprika, salt, pepper, dried cilantro, a pinch of cayenne for heat)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of crumbled/shredded cheese (recommended: Queso Fresco)
Rub chicken with olive oil (breasts or thighs) and add spice mix.
Preheat the grill to medium. blacken tomatillo and serrano chilis and cook chicken until cooked through.
Once the chilis are blackened, add to a small sauté pan and briefly sauté in olive oil over medium heat.
Remove chicken from the grill and shred.
Place the tomatillos, serrano, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and honey in a blender and blend until smooth(remove seeds if you want to make the recipe more mild). Place the blended mixture in a large saute pan and place on medium/high heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the shredded chicken, and heat through.
Heat the tortillas in a pan or on the grill, and heat until warm(if cooking on the grill, heat for 20 seconds on each side). Spoon the chicken mixture into the tortillas and top with a few tablespoons of your favorite cheese (i.e.queso fresco) Fold the tortillas in half, serve immediately.